Ento-musings from the University of Kentucky Department of Entomology


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Survivor: Redemption Island -- Arthropod Watch

Blake Newton, UK Extension Entomologist

I'm still a Survivor fan after all these years. On this blog, I occasionally mention some of the critters that I notice on the show. At the end of last week's episode, I saw an amblypygid crawling on a tree during one of the night-vision segments. Amblypygids, also known as tailless whip scorpions, have a very strange appearance. To me, they look like the facehuggers from Alien. And some of them can get pretty big. They are basically harmless to people, though.

Amblypygids don't live in Kentucky, but they are found in some of the sub-tropical parts of the United States, like Florida. You can read more about these fascinating critters on this Wikipedia entry.

1 comment:

  1. I never saw one either but I look forward to doing some research on them. Thanks for letting us know about them.

    ReplyDelete