Ento-musings from the University of Kentucky Department of Entomology


Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fireflies

Tonight, as my wife was coming home from doing laundry at about 9:00, she saw all the fireflies out and got excited. They don't get the big summertime swarms of fireflies in Utah (where she grew up), so it's still new to her. I grew up with them, and I'd spent many summer evenings in my childhood chasing them around the yard: I still have a hard time imagining growing up without fireflies.

We decided to get our two-year-old up to see them (he hadn't yet fallen asleep, anyway). I got out my net and a jar, and Lyn got out the camera. Lyn showed him all the fireflies, and I put some in a jar to let him see them up close.

Then, he said he wanted to go back inside and go to bed. My two-year-old would rather go to bed than see the fireflies.

(Sigh)

3 comments:

  1. Maybe when he is older he will like firefly's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like there are more fireflies than usual this year. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed more fireflies as well! I wounder what it is.

    ReplyDelete